Thursday, November 11, 2010

Saturday Oct. 23,2010 Swim, Bike, Run OH MY

Ok so I have always wanted to do a Triathlon but I am not a good swimmer, I don't own a good bike and I hate to run. So WHY would I want to do a Triathlon you ask. Everyone I have talked to that has done one says it's an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Plus it's great exercise. Well My stake,the LDS church I belong to, decided in Jan 2010 that we needed to be a more healthy people. I Agreed. So they organized a Mini (not even sprint) Triathlon for whomever wanted to participate on Oct. 23,2010. This was perfect. I have always wanted to do one PLUS this one was a MINI one. Even better. I thought I could to that. So Bryan and I promised each other that we would 9 months from then be in our church Triathlon. Well let's just say that 9 months flew by and before we knew it is was 4 weeks away. Well I finally broke down a got a Gym membership and we trained for those 4 weeks for this event. It was fun, hard and I found myself pushing through. It was great. So the race was going to be a 1/4 mile Swim (16 laps in a big pool) a 8 mile Bike ( a 4 mile loop 2 times) and a 2 mile Run. Ok well like I said before I am not good at any of those events so I did a lot of training. I think the last time I have run 2 miles straight was like 10 years ago. I'm not joking either. So this was going to be challenging for little ol' me but I knew I could do it. Bryan is so athletic I knew he wouldn't have a problem. Long story shorter it was Time!!! Oct. 23,2010 the day my life changed. We borrowed some real nice mountain bikes fro Bryan's cousins Holly and Doug (Thanks so much) and Brad's (Bryan's Dad) truck to get them there (Thanks) and we were ready. When we got there we got our numbers written on our arms by Bryan's mom Linda (such a great helper) I was 12 and Bryan was 13. We got all our things ready and set up. We saw lots of people from our ward!!! YAY Desert Vista!! And my amazing Big Sister Jeanette our personal photographer and our little cheer leaders Emily and Chloe. We felt very supported. We found Micah Slade our brother-in-law and we got in line to swim first. Thank goodness that the water was heated because we started early like 7am or so. They informed us before we started that because there were so many participants that showed up last minute that they had to cut the 8 mile bike to only a 4 mile bike. I was ok with that. So we were off Micah went then Bryan and then a few people between us then me. We swam with all our might. Changing lanes every 2 laps to keep the people going. So that was fun and hard. I always have a hard time breathing when I swim but I did it!!! We quickly changed into our clothes and got our bikes and we were off. I saw Bryan leaving on his bike when I finally got to my bike to change and ride. It was a good ride. It took a second to catch my breath and really get going but I did. Then went that was done it was time to run!! Yikes. I did good for the first minute but then I had to slow down and walk(quickly) to catch my breath again. So I did that the whole time. Ran a bunch then walked a little then ran again. I finished in 1 hour and 5 mins. Not amazing but ok. And Bryan did it in 50 minutes!!! Micah did the best in 40 something minutes. The fastest person did it in 30 mins.. WOW!!! Well we all did it!! I still can't believe I did a Triathlon even if it was a MINI. It was a challenge for me. I loved it!! I can see how people get addicted to these races. Well I am not sure if I will be one of those people but I may try a Sprint Tri someday. I did feel that feeling that everyone talks about. I felt accomplished!! I did it and didn't Die!!!! YAY!!!

The Beginning Getting ready to swim Micah, Nat and Bry


Our little cheerleaders Emily and Chloe


Bryan "the tuff guy"
Me #12

It's go time Bryan and Micah

Bryan and Micah swimming


Nat swimming I finished and didn't drown


Bryan getting the clothes on to Bike


And he's off


Me getting ready to Bike


And I'm Off after a picture of coarse

Micah already Running

Bryan getting ready to run

Bryan is off running


Nat taking a second to breath and for a picture before the Run


Nat coming to the end

Notice I kicked it in gear and passed that dude

I am almost done

I DID IT!!!

The Survivors!!
Micah's Family came to watch too. Whit,Taj and Rhett



Our cool Shirts we got. We wore them after it was all done.

3 comments:

Paula said...

You go girl! I'm proud of you!

Marilyn said...

way to go! Good job! It was fun seeing you in AZ.

Staci said...

You guys are my heroes! I even trained for this (kind of) & was going to the gym religiously to prepare and then ended up having a conflict that day, so I couldn't make it:( Looks like fun, I bet you are so happy you did it!